Monday, January 10, 2011

Mapping


I have had an interest in maps for some time now, i have a good collection of old and not so old map from Ireland and Europe. They are all so very different but yet so similar. They all do as they should,providing an abstract and visual representation of an area. They inform the user of  geographic, physical and political spaces. 

Inside my maps- different terrain


selection of my maps




I think it is interesting to recognize the different terrain  both urban and rural within each country. Here we can see ( above) Ireland, Swiss mountain, Rome, London, Finland, Leitrim ..



Bing maps- My daily route, Limerick- putting journeys together.
 
Above is a collection of maps that i put together to create a whole journey. I think it would be interesting to create a mapping system of my county wide journeys as I tend to travel the country alot.

More mapping on a smaller scale! 
It is interesting to note that I was able to create a journey using the multiple images of the same map using the same system of documentation.


Can I take a journey around limerick city utilizing a map of London? 
Will the act of Dérive work on two urban areas at once?





Maps can present various forms and my mapping systems are evolving into abstract matrix type imagery. This is not intentional. Above I decided to experiment with foot flow by taking account of the individual steps taken to arrive at my desired area.






 
This map consists of data collected during journey around my personal space ( my home)

A Map of footsteps taken on a daily route




The Matrix





I created this map while on Dérive but on a regular journey, The outcome was an exploration of landmarks and distance travelled




Various sketches of mapping grids

Grid System- Limerick Central

Grid System-Dublin Central


Intregrating the Dublin and Limerick Grid mapping system.

Grid System- Rome Central

Combining Paris and Limerick:
Paris will hopefully create a interesting mapping space.
Mapping a space while walking in Paris, using a map of Limerick as a guide.

Limerick city



No comments:

Post a Comment